The next Garama climate change training will run in the week of 11th November, here in Norwich, UK. There are still some places available. There will be some innovations in this version of the course, most notably the more modular format and the addition of a session on net-zero. The course will be based on the Adapting to Climate Change course programme, with some additional material. To register for this course, or part of it, use the registration form, or contact us directly.
Participants can attend Day 1 only for an overview of global climate science and policy, Days 1 & 2 for additional content on responses to climate change (mitigation and adaptation), or all five days for detailed content on climate change mainstreaming, risk screening and assessment, adaptation decision making and monitoring, evaluation and learning.
See below for a summary of the programme and costs.
Day 1. Global science and policy contexts (£225)
- Overview of climate science from a global perspective – causes, trends projections
- Long-term perspectives on climate change and lessons from the past
- Global policy contexts – the Paris Agreement, its goals, and how we are doing in meeting them
- Chances of staying below 1.5-2 degrees C – how are things looking? What is necessary?
- Global and regional impacts of climate change
- Wider implications for society
Day 2. Responding to climate change (£225)
- Mitigation – reducing greenhouse gas emissions – history of action and inaction
- Net-zero – what do we need to do to get there
- Systemic versus individual action
- Adaptation, risk, resilience and vulnerability
- Different types of adaptation and when they are (not) appropriate
- Adaptation, mitigation and sustainable development goals in the context of Paris
- Barriers to climate action and how to address them
Days 3-5. Adaptation decision making (£775)
- Adaptation (and mitigation) mainstreaming
- Screening for climate change risks
- Climate risk and vulnerability assessment
- Identifying & prioritising adaptation options
- Assessing the success of adaptation (monitoring, evaluation and learning)
- Days 3-5 will include a number of practical exercises
Cost for all 5 days: £1225
Optional evening meal (Day 2): £40